Your cart
Close Alternative Icon

Alfredo Maestro

Alfredo Maestro Vina Almate Tinto 2019


no added sulfur

Country: Spain

Region: Ribera del Duero

Type: Red Wine

Grape: Tempranillo

Alfredo Maestro started making wine in the late 1990's when he planted his first vineyard, Almate, on the Rio Duraton near his native town of Peñafiel in the Ribera del Duero, and from the beginning set out to farm organically. Since 2003 his wines have contained no additives at all, including sulfur. Known as the 'Magician of the Duero', he has emerged as one of the most lauded and dynamic natural winemakers in Spain. 75% of this particular cuvee comes from 80 year old Tinto Fino (Tempranillo) vines from the Valtiendas area, just south of the Ribera del Duero. The remaining 25% is from young Tinto Fino vines planted on sand and clay on the River Duraton.

The wine is fermented in steel vat with 15-20 days of maceration with wild yeasts and 50-100% stem inclusion depending on vintage, and raised over winter with one racking: unfined, unfiltered, and no added sulfur. Aged for 4 months in used French oak.

Aromas of redcurrant, blueberry and plum with traces of vanilla. On the palate, red and black fruit notes, along with spice and minerals. Medium bodied with sweet tannins, this is a well-structured wine that is drinking beautifully now.

.template-index .home-section.slideshow { overflow: hidden; }